Scent Marketing – Smells Are Powerful Emotional Triggers
A research study was conducted at a casino to find out if scent could influence the amount of money spent at slot machines. Two scents were tested. One scent was found to increase the money spent by 45%. The other scent had no impact.
The sense of smell is still extremely important to humans. The olfactory centers of the brain that detect and identify aromas developed early in evolution. Odors are stored in memory and are closely associated with human emotions. Even odors we can’t detect consciously stimulate hunger, inspire happiness, remind us of past experiences, and cause us to flee from danger. Our survival and well-being are influenced by our brain’s processing of scents.
Neuromarketing Focuses on Our Sensory Experience
Since Neuromarketing is the application of neuroscience research, it also considers our sense of smell. While internet marketing doesn’t involve scents, except to use images and words to suggest aromas, most businesses also have a physical location. Brick-and-mortar businesses have many reasons to think about scents and odors. Our Neuromarketing consulting services can give you important clues about how customers’ senses of smell affect your success and profits:
- What Is the Smell of Success or Failure? – A faint scent can stimulate a wide range of emotions. Since 95% or more of consumer decisions are based on emotions, it’s no surprise that odors play a role in marketing. The unique smell of a new car, the scent of baking bread, and the fresh aroma that follows a rain shower evoke pleasant emotions. Such scents are so important that car dealers use expensive sprays to restore that new car smell to used cars. Real estate agents bake cookies for home showings to improve their chances of selling your home.
- What Is the Scent Profile of Your Business? – What does your store or office smell like? You probably don’t know. Long exposure to a set of smells causes “nose blindness.” You no longer notice smells you encounter daily. For your customers, however, your place of business has a distinct odor combination. If that scent profile stimulates positive emotions, that will help you sell. If unpleasant or offensive odors exist, though, they will drive business away. Your customers won’t tell you, so you need an unbiased scent profile analysis.
- Start by Getting Rid of Unpleasant Odors – Inadequate ventilation is the most common reason for a negative scent profile. Other issues, like chemicals used in the business, tobacco smoking, and processes used in the business can add to odors that create negative emotions. Eliminating those odors is important. A thorough clean-up, improved air flow and ventilation and prohibiting smoking can minimize such smells. Special air filtration and electronic air purifiers can also help. Scent neutralizing products are also available.
- Create a Brand-New Scent Profile that Sells – An entire industry has grown around scent marketing. Several companies create exclusive scent profiles that become part of branding for major businesses like Hilton Hotels, Nike Shoes, and even Ferrari. Using automatic aerosol diffusion equipment, their facilities have a distinct scent that goes unnoticed by most customers but affects their emotions. Scent marketing companies have also developed scents for specific types of businesses, through research and testing. We can help you find the right combination.
- With Scent Marketing a Little Goes a Long Way – Using scents can increase sales by as much as 15-20%, studies have shown. However, too much of a good thing can drive customers away. The goal is for your business’s scent profile to affect people’s emotions without being detected. Many people are adversely affected by perfumes and odors, so effective scent marketing requires a careful balance and subtle use. If you’re interested in exploring this little-known way to boost sales, ask us for an evaluation and recommendations.
Neuromarketing Affects All Parts of Your Business
Neuroscience research has revealed many secrets about how the unconscious brain influences consumer behavior. In the past two decades, researchers have increased scientific knowledge in ways that can enhance marketing for every type of business and in every marketing environment. As the top-rated Neuromarketing consulting firm with seasoned Neuroscientists on the staff, we are constantly studying and evaluating ongoing research. We bring that expertise to our clients through professional consultations and in the services we provide.