How Amazon Applies Neuromarketing to Sell More
- Why do customers love to buy on Amazon?
- How does Amazon persuade its customers to buy more?
He pointed out that Amazon is in the Instant Gratification business. He also explained how Amazon makes decisions for its customers by leveraging crowd influence. Amazon doesn’t sell anything, but it helps its customers buy everything.
Amazon has grown quickly from its humble beginnings to become the world’s largest internet retailer. It’s hard to find anything you can’t buy on Amazon and have it shipped FREE to your address.
Your business may not compete directly with Amazon. However, understanding how this giant retailer succeeds in sales and marketing can help your company thrive. Using Neuromarketing is a major conversion-boosting technique for Amazon.
Amazon Leverages Neuromarketing to Boost Sales
We’ll show you how Neuromarketing is applied using real examples. We’ll also give you tips for applying those neuro design and sales techniques to help your company grow.
- Amazon’s Neuro Web Design – When you first arrive on Amazon’s home page, you’ll notice product images everywhere. Then, if you’ve ever bought anything there, you’ll see something else. Amazon tracks every visitor’s browsing and purchases on its website. It creates an individualized profile for each customer. Every page, including the home page is unique in design for each customer. For example, an image like this one shows up near the top left of the home page, one of the first places you look. Personalization is one of Amazon’s keys to success. It speaks directly to you. Amazon optimizes every customer’s experience. It suggests browsing categories, based on your previous visits. Identification with customers is a powerful Neuromarketing tactic.
- Use Persuasive Design for More Sales – No two visitors have the same shopping habits. So, there are almost endless ways to shop. You can search for an item name, browse categories, or follow Amazon’s targeted suggestions. You can look at close-out items, warehouse sale items, or take advantage of “Daily Deals.” No matter how you choose to shop, though, you’ll see curated lists of products, carefully presented to match your previous choices. It also provides comparisons, and relevant items to persuade you to buy. One common technique reminds you of products you have viewed but not purchased. In all product lists, Amazon uses social proof heavily to influence your clicks on items. In the image, notice the star reviews. They demonstrate how many people purchased, and their high opinion of the items. The goal of all product lists is to get users to click on a product to view its detail page, where they can purchase the item.
- Optimize Conversion to Close the Sale – Since Amazon is an online retailer, its conversion goal is a click to add a product to the shopping cart or make an immediate purchase. Its product detail pages get that job done with the help of Neuromarketing techniques. The example image shows a typical conversion box on a product detail page. Neuromarketing techniques used here include the words FREE shipping, used twice. The box also stimulates the loss aversion cognitive bias by stressing short supply. The order box also personalizes the decision by mentioning the customer’s name. Finally, it offers choices to shoppers. They can order immediately or add the item to the shopping cart and continue browsing. Either way, the visitor is nudged toward a purchase decision, using subtle cues designed to promote conversion.
By learning about all the ways the world’s largest online retailer dramatically increases its conversion optimization, you can increase your sales and maximize revenues.
Neuroscience and Marketing Meet at Amazon
Amazon’s website is optimized for maximum product sales by applying Neuromarketing principles. As one of the few companies that specialize in Neuromarketing, we want to help you understand how this science-based approach works. With professional neuromarketers on its staff, Amazon constantly tests and applies brain-aware concepts in its marketing. Our experienced team plays that role for your business. Everything we do for clients is based on proven neuroscience research.
As you read here about Amazon’s Neuromarketing, you’ll understand more about how it works. But, applying those concepts to your own business isn’t easy. Your company is unique, and success demands solutions that are ideally matched to your strategy. Call us today for an analysis of your current efforts. We’ll show you how applied neuroscience can boost your sales and leads up to 500%. There’s nothing to lose, and everything to gain.